Friday, August 02, 2013

Friday Photo: Jacqueline and Her Sisters

On the first two Fridays of each month, I showcase a family photo and answer the “who, what, when, where and why” of that picture. The first week’s Friday photo is taken from my side of the family and the second week’s Friday photo is chosen from my husband’s side of the family. (I got the idea for this column from Amy Coffin’s ebook The Big Genealogy Blog Book advertised on her The We Tree Genealogy Blog.)

Jacqueline Belair and her sisters Mariette Madeleine Normande and Simone in 1971
Jacqueline and her sisters, 1971

Who:
My Mom Jacqueline (far right) and her sisters (left to right) Mariette, Madeleine, Normande and Simone.

What:
Five sisters gathered together. (Jeanne d'arc, the youngest, is not here.)

When:
Summer of 1971.

Where:
Simone’s home in Corunna, Ontario.

Why:
I don’t know why Mom and her sisters posed for this photo. My parents didn’t travel much from our home in northeastern Ontario to southwestern Ontario where my aunts Mariette, Simone and Normande lived, so I’m not sure why Mom is in Corunna. (Maybe Dad didn’t go, and Mom travelled south with Madeleine, who also lived in northeastern Ontario.) There are four other photos in this series, but none of them seem to offer clues as to the reason for this picture. Maybe my Ontario cousins will see this photo and will let me know why the Desgroseilliers sisters were photographed in the summer of 1971.

I love this photo, because it shows my Mom with her sisters. I loved my aunts, but I didn’t often see them. (It was about an 8 hour car journey from our home in Timmins to their homes in Sarnia and Corunna.) Whenever the sisters got together, someone always took a photo or two of them, so at least I got the benefit of ‘seeing’ them in pictures if not in person.

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment