Saturday, June 03, 2017

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Which Ancestor Moved the Furthest?

It’s Saturday and Randy at Genea-Musings has issued his weekly challenge to his readers.

Tonight’s challenge is to answer the following question: "Which ancestor moved the farthest from their home?"

My ancestors

Most of my ancestors who immigrated to New France in the 1600s and 1700s were from France, but a few came from England, Jersey, Spain, Switzerland, and Italy. A handful of others were brought to Canada as captives from New England.

I think the ancestor who moved the farthest from his home was Jean-Bernardin Lesage dit Le Piedmontois, no. 1862 in my ancestor list.

Jean-Bernardin, my maternal ancestor, hails from Racconigi, Piedmont, Italy. Born about 1657, he married Marie-Barbe Sylvestre on 8 January 1686 in Neuville, east of present-day Quebec City. Jean-Bernardin died on 13 April 1748 and was buried two days later in L’Assomption, a little to the northeast of Montreal.

My husband’s ancestors

My husband is a second-generation Canadian. His grandparents and some of his great-grandparents came to Canada seeking religious freedom from imperial Russia in 1899. They left their homes in Tiflis (now Tbilisi, Georgia), travelled to the port of Batum on the Black Sea, and then sailed for Canada.

My ancestor travelled a distance of 5,847 km (3,633 miles), while my husband’s ancestor travelled 8,320 km (5,169 miles). What journeys those must have been!

Copyright © 2017, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.